Bow Lake Elementary Uniform Policy for 2018-19 school year. Please note the Uniform Policy will not change for the 2019-2020 school year.
Based on a school-wide vote, the Bow Lake Elementary community voted by 74 percent to adopt a mandatory school uniform policy that started during 2013-14 school year. Uniforms are one way to instill pride in our students; pride in themselves, their school and community. Our uniform shows the world the unity we share at Bow Lake and that our students are dressed for success.
All students at Bow Lake are required to wear their uniforms Monday through Friday from 8:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Only the articles listed below can be worn as the Bow Lake uniform. School personnel are monitoring students who are not in uniform. All students will be addressed accordingly. Please make sure your student is in compliance.
Clothing may not be tight, over-sized or revealing. Clothing must be neat in appearance and worn appropriately. Coats are not allowed to be worn in the building during school hours.
If students are not in uniform compliance, students will be required to call home and may receive a referral for being out of uniform compliance.
- A parent/ guardian will be expected to bring the appropriate clothing to school before students will be allowed to enter the classroom.
- If parent/ guardian contact cannot be made, students will be held accountable and required to borrow clothing from the office between 8:45 to 9:00 a.m.
- A uniform citation letter will be sent home with the student, and parent signature will be required and the form will be returned the following day.
- Polo shirts, Button-down shirts, Dress shirts, Blouses and Turtlenecks (Navy Blue, Light Blue, White)
- Emblems, logos or writing on shirts is not allowed.
- All shirts may be no shorter than waist length.
- T-shirts are not allowed (except as undershirts).
- Layering of shirts is allowed in uniform colors.
- Bow Lake Spirit Wear is allowed.
- Sweaters and Bow Lake Sweatshirts (Navy Blue, Light Blue, White)
- Cardigan sweaters are allowed.
- Bow Lake sweatshirts are allowed.
- Plain zip sweatshirts in uniform colors are allowed.
- Pants, Capris (Navy Blue, Khaki)
- Pants are to be worn at the waist.
- Pants must be correct size, no sagging, not form-fitting and no more than one size larger than waist.
- Pants must be hemmed, no frayed or torn items.
- Jeans or denim material is not allowed.
- Logo, writing adornments, accessories, straps or decorative stitching on pants is not allowed.
- Sweatpants are not allowed.
- Skirts, Skorts/Jumpers, Shorts (Navy Blue, Khaki)
- Length: Must not be shorter than fingertip length (arms extended at the sides)
- Must be worn at waist.
- Must be hemmed, no frayed or torn items.
- Jean or Denim material is not allowed.
- Accessories on clothing are not allowed.
- Shorts/leggings may be worn under skirts, but must be in uniform colors.
- Belts (Solid Color)
- Must be worn through belt loops and may not hang down.
- No flip flops, slippers, or high heel shoes.
- Rain boots and snow boots may be worn during inclement (bad) weather.
- Socks (White, Navy Blue, Khaki)
- Athletic, dress, or knee socks must be solid and in uniform colors.
- Girls’ tights or leggings must be in uniform colors.
- Jackets/ Outerwear/ Hats/ Caps
- Jackets, hats, gloves and scarves can only be worn when outdoors.
- Head-coverings for religious reasons (such as hijabs) are allowed.
Administration reserves the right to restrict clothing items or accessories that disrupt teaching and learning.
Our dress code policy was designed to be as easy and inexpensive as possible for parents. As you purchase new school clothing for students, please keep the following information in mind:
- Dress code colors: Khaki, Navy Blue, Light Blue and White
- Dress according to the season.
- Layer for warmth in uniform colors (ex. white long sleeve tees under polos).
- At least two bottoms & three tops.
- Clothing should be well fitting.
- Clothing should be neat in appearance and worn correctly.
- Purchase a range of sizes, uniforms can be difficult to find in the spring.
- Retail stores that sell school uniforms:
- Fred Meyer
- Old Navy
Any family that is in need of financial assistance for uniforms may contact our Family Liaison, Elizabeth Andaluz at 206-631-3567.
Lost and Found: parents please make sure and check our lost and found items. This is located in the hallway leading to the cafeteria. All items that are left after June 21 will be donated to a local cause.